Dawnbreak
Sign in to follow this  
Eric Redford

bro bitching

He nudged the door open with two six packs tucked under his arms. "Hey, asshole! You home?" He called out, moving further into his brother's home. He plopped down, setting the two six packs on the table in front of him with a yawn. With his wife gone, he'd come out of retirement by request, taking up the mantle of district attorney. A few hours ago, he'd promoted his nephew to the seat of assistant district attorney and in a roundabout way, he'd pissed off his daughter by choosing his nephew over her "again." Fucking drama queen.

Red Redford

Red was in his office when he heard the front door open and shut, shortly followed by the familiar voice. He ignored his brother at first, finishing up what he'd been working on first. A few minutes later he pushed back his chair and finally came down to join him, "Hey, Eric," he greeted as he came down the stairs, "been a while since you've come around. What's up?"

Rue

He shrugged, plucking up one of the beers. "In simple terms, I've managed to piss off my daughter again..." His eyes twinkled faintly with mirth and he slowly shook his head. "I promoted your boy over her, and she's all kinds of pissed, but..." He hesitated, briefly. "She's honestly lucky she gets a paycheck." He'd told her as such, and he'd be damned if she disrespected him or his ironclad authority in the law office or even at home.

Red Redford

"Now did you do that for merit or to make the nepotism stand out less?" Red asked as he snagged a beer for himself and dropped down onto the couch. Dawnbreak was a small town, the legal system there wasn't broad. As things stood it was impossible to avoid nepotism altogether.

Eric Redford

He shrugged, twisting off the top on his bottle of beer. "Does it matter? Even if she'd been promoted, she would have had something to bitch about... When it boils down to it, Logan has more experience and the proper credentials to put the proper oomph behind his newly acquired position." He sighed, taking a pull from his beer. After swallowing, he continued. "She has a lot of growing up to do and who knows...? Maybe after I retire the second and final time, that diamond in the rough will be polished properly." He sighed quietly. He'd had two fine prospective assistant district attorneys and could only really choose one, so he'd gone with the one that could shit for himself without seeking his constant approval or bending over backwards to kiss his ass.

Red Redford

Red shrugged, "I'm not questioning your judgement, brother," he said, "just curious is all. Making those calls with family involved is always a pain in the ass. Fuck, do you have any idea what its like at the station with half the damn department being a Redford in some way or another? Just comes with living in a small town," he shrugged a second time, "anyway chug that shit down and lets break out the good stuff."

Rue

He smiled wryly. "That sounds more like a personal problem, considering you're the one that helped populate said small town." He thought he was hysterical. Would his brother share his views? Probably not. Did Eric care? Definitely not. "I'll have you know this is fantastic beer. It's gotten me through some rough times." Or, maybe, it was more sentimental than fantastic. He had, after all, had it with his late wife. It'd been one of her favorites. Couldn't taste the alcohol, really, but it certainly got you drunk enough, even with the subtlety of the alcohol. 

@DragonBlue

"Still jealous of my innate charm with the ladies eh?" Red smirked at his brother. He deserved all the flak he caught in that respect. It wasn't even impossible that he had a bastard or two about that he wasn't even aware of. 

He kicked his feet up on the coffee table, "Its better than the piss water most of this town drinks anyway," Red shrugged, "but its my weekend and I'm ready to break out the whiskey," he said - ignoring that it was still the middle of the afternoon.

@Sunny

He shook his head. "Not particularly, no. I found the love of my life young, and I've got no regrets. She gave me two, wonderful children, and I couldn't have hoped to be happier if I'd tried." Well, that wasn't entirely true... He missed his wife with every passing day. She had been his world, and he had needed to go through the pain of burying her. If they could have traded places, he would have done so in a heartbeat. It wasn't that he hated his life as it currently stood but rather, he was still having a hard time adjusting to the fact she no longer drew breath and now lay rotting in a six-foot hole in the ground.

He set his empty bottle down and eyed his brother with a wry smile. "More for me, then." He said, shrugging slightly. "So break it out, brother. Don't let me stop you." He doubted he could stop his brother, even if he'd wanted to. Eric had always glided by in life and whether that was because all eyes were turned on Red or because he had always kept his nose clean was beyond him but Eric, despite being the youngest, wasn't a rule-breaker or a lech... And he certainly wasn't that interesting at a cursory glance.

@DragonBlue

"In good time," Red countered as he reached for the remote. He switched on the TV and flipped channels until he found a game on, leaving it to play for a little bit of background sound, "So other than perpetually displeased kids what's been going on with you?" he asked conversationally. As tight knit as the family was they still had a tendency to get away from one another at times as they became absorbed in their own problems. 

@Sunny

He slowly exhaled. Did he lie and try to hide the fact he wasn't doing well? Or did he own up to his present mental state? Maybe noncommittal was best. "Not much, honestly... Just the usual bullshit." He smiled wryly, having decided for somewhere in the middle. Truth be told, he didn't think his brother would want to be privy to his fucked up shit. Red had enough on his plate to deal with without adding Eric's mess to the mix. 

"And what about you, brother mine?" He inquired after a few moments of silence, regarding the television with mild disinterest as a means to try and distract himself.

@DragonBlue

"Way shit's been for you that's nor particularly comforting," Red gave a brief, wry smile but didn't press. He assumed Eric would speak up if he wanted to. Right then there didn't seem to be any reason to press. 

He shrugged when the question reversed, "Things have been both usual and on the shit side," he answered, "department is short staffed and under funded as ever and whatever the fuck this Wendigo thing lurking in the forest is sure as fuck isn't making life any easier." 

@Sunny